Legal Counsel - Transactions (Remote)
ApplePie Capital is a fast-growing online lender focused exclusively on the franchise industry. Our channel is differentiated and our momentum is real - we forge partnerships with high quality franchise brands, who deliver highly-qualified franchisee borrowers seeking capital to grow their franchise empire and escape the growth limitations of traditional financing.
We have originated over $1.3b in loan volume to fund franchise loans. Our next step is to scale our success and become the premier one-stop shop for franchise finance, a $60B annual debt market. To get there, we’re looking for team members with true grit, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a burning desire to make their mark.
ApplePie Capital is seeking a Legal Counsel of Transactions who will support the loan closing team and provide transactional support company-wide. This person will report to the General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer.
The Legal Counsel of Transactions will be integral in both reviewing and managing a large volume of loan documents for transactions, providing legal advice and guidance to our team. The ideal candidate will have experience managing multiple deals, likes learning, being challenged, and innovating to boost process efficiency and improve customer experience.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Perform legal review of documents needed to close loans to franchisees and provide day to day support to operations teams which can involve peak periods of processing.
- Manage a large volume of transactions, negotiate numerous standard and complex corporate and commercial agreements while balancing appropriate legal and business risks.
- Review existing business agreements and policies and provide guidance on rights and obligations.
- Leverage legal expertise to come up with practical solutions to operational priorities.
- Assist and support efforts to strengthen our legal document management and records retention program.
- Ability to clearly and concisely draft complex contracts and provisions.
- Efficiently manage a large volume of transactions, negotiate numerous standard and complex corporate and commercial agreements while balancing appropriate legal and business risks.
- Demonstrate appropriate discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally (sales, marketing, operations, IT, HR, finance, outside counsel, customers, etc.) to achieve business objectives.
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation.
- Proficient in G-Suite, Word and Excel with ability to quickly develop proficiency with other software used, including Google Docs, Box, etc.
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Goal centered motivation; results-driven.
- Desire to belong to a team and contribute to the success of the larger organization
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Admission to at least one state bar (preference for California Bar or ability to obtain California in-house counsel registration)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of law firm and/or in house experience, preferably with some law firm experience
AppliePie Capital is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about ApplePie Capital, visit www.applepiecapital.com.