From a small family business to a multi-billion dollar global company, Sonoco has been changing the face of products and packaging since 1899 — all while keeping the heart of “People Build Businesses” alive.
Our talented people are at the core of our growth, constantly reinventing the Sonoco wheel with brilliant solutions every year. Today we are a world leader in global packaging solutions with diversified operations in over 34 countries. We're extremely proud of our portfolio of brands, our achievements in sustainability and industrialization and the groundbreaking work accomplished by our people.
Alongside the Payroll Specialist team, the Sr. Payroll Specialist will be responsible for performing assigned duties regarding the processing of hourly and salaried payrolls for the Company’s US and Canadian operations. Additionally, they will be responsible for serving as the Workday subject matter expert (SME) within the payroll department. While sitting within the payroll operations team, this SME role will serve as the key connection point between IT/Technology support, Hire to Retire continuous improvement support, and the payroll operations team. This role is an operations role within our growing Global Business Services (GBS) organization. It is an excellent opportunity to gain experience within a global organization and use the operations knowledge to explore further career growth within GBS or the broader Sonoco organization.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the timely and accurate payment of Sonoco’s payrolls. Includes multi-company, multi-state, and multiple pay cycles.
- Drive improvement projects through optimization of Workday processes specifically focused on eliminating manual operations.
- Serve as SME and assistance in project execution for large strategic projects impacting payroll including but not limited to new system implementations, new business acquisitions, process improvement and process rationalization efforts.
- Assist in Root Cause investigation and corrective/preventative action implementation for repeat and impactful payroll errors.
- Proactive audits to ensure data accuracy and compliance with SOX to identify any control weaknesses. Initiates corrective action for system edit and error messages.
- Handle distribution of confidential information as needed to PWC, auditors, corporate, etc, as needed.
- Assist with year-end processing to ensure that tax forms are issued timely and accurately.
- Must be able to research federal and state rules and regulations for the U.S. and Canada.
- Must be able to make decisions to resolve pay issues that arise with the operations, balancing the needs of the employees with the cost to Sonoco, while ensuring that Sonoco follows federal, state, and local regulations.
- Serve as liaison between IT/Technology team and payroll operation team to trouble-shoot and address issues with Workday software connectivity and interface issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a Remote Position located within the United States preference Eastern or Central Time Zone
We’d love to hear from you if:
- Bachelor’s degree – preferred majors include business administration, accounting, and management information systems.
- 3+ year experience with Workday HCM
- 1+ years supporting Workday Payroll
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to grasp a general knowledge of multiple disciplines and technologies.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively organize and structure activities.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- 5+ years’ experience
- Strong Workday business knowledge in HR processes and policies including but not limited to: Benefits, Compensation, and Reporting
- Kronos experience
- ADP experience
Preferred Certifications: CPP or PCP
The annual base salary range for this role is from $71,025.00 to $85,230.00
An incentive bonus is awarded to eligible employees upon attaining various business and individual goals as defined by the Company and the department leader. This incentive bonus is discretionary, and the Company has sole discretion to determine the amount of the award.
At Sonoco Products Company, we offer a comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive pay and benefits. *Benefits listed below are for employees located in the U.S. Specific benefits and wellbeing programs may vary depending on your location (within the U.S. or global), or if you are a union employee.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents, including FSA and HSA options
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Wellbeing tools and resources to support holistic health, including an Employee Assistance Program with a variety of services
- Paid time off and holidays to recreate, rejuvenate and care for the health of yourself and family
- Variety of company paid and voluntary employee-paid insurance plans including life, personal accident, and disability insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.