Public Relations Lead, 4-5 days/week
We help holidaymakers love their journeys
We’re the world’s first tech platform for flight-free holidays. We help people love their journeys, and are proud to be a certified B Corporation. Founded in March 2020, we’ve booked over 5,000 people onto flight-free holidays with 97% five star reviews, and regularly appear in mainstream press from the Times to the Guardian. We’re growing 4x year on year, and have no plans to slow down until flight-free travel is mainstream.
We’re hiring Byway’s first internal Public Relations Lead to own and expand our press strategy, following three years of enthusiastic press support managed by our team and a part-time freelancer.
In this role, you’ll be the driving force behind our communication strategies, shaping how we share our vision of flight-free travel with the world. You'll develop and manage our public relations campaigns and forge or strengthen relationships with media outlets spanning travel, lifestyle, news and tech. You’ll report to our CMO, collaborating closely with our CEO and wider marketing, sales, ops, and tech teams. The role is remote, with two days a month in our London office alongside the rest of the team. As we’re a small team this role will suit someone who likes variety, and who can be resourceful to get what they need for a pitch.
Lead PR initiatives, setting strategic direction for the company.
Manage media relations, including crafting press releases, pitching stories, nurturing media contacts and arranging press trips.
Work with our marketing, partnerships and content team to maintain a calendar and ideate cross-channel promotions based on business news, PR opportunities, travel trends and flight free travel news.
Source speaking opportunities and provide PR guidance and training to team members and spokespeople.
Monitor and respond to inbound press inquiries, alerts and #journorequests in a timely manner to secure coverage.
Monitor and report on the effectiveness of PR campaigns and strategies.
What we’re looking for
- Immaculate, persuasive copywriting.
- Excellent examples of working in travel PR in the UK.
- Significant understanding of the travel industry.
- Great existing relationships across trade and consumer travel press.
What would be great (but isn’t required)
- Experience working with B Corps and/or in sustainable travel.
- Experience hiring or working with agencies or freelancers.
- Experience working internationally.
- Experience working with celebrities and influencers.
What we offer
- £38,000 - £44,000 p.a. FTE, depending on experience
- Company ownership through equity
- Remote-first, flexible working
- 20 days wherever: work when you like and where you like for most of the month
- 2 days together: join our team in the London office two days each month including our monthly social
- A funded a day a week in a coworking space
- The option to work four days per week
- One cost-price Byway holiday per year and agency rates with Eurostar for you and your family/friends
- An annual autumn Away Afternoon and optional Weekend Away in spring
How to apply
Please apply with your CV and a short covering letter. We're more interested in your covering letter than your CV.
We’re eager to receive applications from all backgrounds, including from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds. If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
If we like your application, we'll set up a 20 minute call for you and Holly, our CMO. After that, there's a short take-home scenario and a technical interview with Holly and Lucy, our Marketing Manager. The third and final interview is focused on us getting to know you, and you getting to know Byway. It will be with Cat (CEO and founder) and Holly. If that's great, we move to job offer and references!
We offer flexible scheduling for our multi-stage interview process and are open to adjustments based on candidate needs.
Friday 1st December 2023.