Accountant II - Payroll
At H&P, our people are our strength.
Since 1920, Helmerich and Payne has been the industry’s most trusted partner in drilling productivity and reliability. As the world changes, so does our approach. We are changing the landscape of drilling by using cutting-edge rig technologies and drilling solutions to build upon a century of success, all while continuing to deliver better outcomes for our customers.
At H&P, our people are our strength. We strive to continually lead with our Core Values that enable employees to develop on their H&P Journey. We believe that doing the right thing means creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that empowers our people to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
Some companies offer career paths. We offer a Journey of a Lifetime. Let's go far, together.
Hear directly from our employees, and leaders about their unique journeys at Helmerich and Payne.
Location: Tulsa, OK; The ideal candidate may work remotely but will be located in the Tulsa, OK area to come into the office as required.
At a Glance:
The Accountant II is primarily responsible for evaluating records of present and past operations, trends and costs, and provide budgetary analysis of expenditures.
What you will do:
- Prepares, reviews, and analyzes monthly journal entries and reports.
- Updates payroll files and general ledger.
- Prepares and files tax and regulatory reports.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Reviews weekly and/or monthly payroll ledger, researches exception items, and take corrective action.
- Reviews all tax and unemployment liability accounts to the general ledger and investigates variances.
- Prepares quarterly and annual payroll tax reporting and researches and resolves payroll/tax reporting issues.
- Ensures all payroll accounting procedures are in line with governmental laws and policies.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Provides records and documentation to internal and external auditors.
- Analyzes payroll data to identify trends, exceptions, and anomalies.
- Recommends improvements to processes, controls, and procedures.
- Supports the payroll accounting team as needed, including overseeing payroll tax registration and reconciliations, periodic reporting, and other tasks.
- Participates in departmental projects and priorities as needed. Supports development and distribution of project status reports, dashboards, meeting minutes, action item logs, etc. to project stakeholders.
- Acts as a subject matter expert (“SME”) and mentor for less experienced Payroll employees.
- Communicates Company commitment and supports the company’s anti-corruption, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and any other anti-corruption compliance programs throughout the assigned operational areas.
- Demonstrates the H&P Company values: Actively C.A.R.E., Service Attitude, Innovative Spirit, Teamwork and Do the Right Thing.
What you need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business. Or, combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of payroll accounting experience.
- Experience with Workday and Kronos a plus.
- Experience in a multi-state and international payroll environment preferred.
- CPP or CPA certification preferred but not required.
- Solid understanding of payroll policies and procedures as well as wage and hour laws.
- Solid understanding of proper taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Proficient user of payroll information technology systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong research and trend analysis skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Excellent PC-based software application skills: Excel, Word, etc.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to organize and plan multiple activities which require close attention to detail.
- Process-driven and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and collaborative team player.
- Able to handle highly confidential information as strict confidentiality is a must.
- Excellent organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Able to adhere to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to make timely and informed recommendations and decisions.
What we offer:
At H&P, our commitment to our people is at the forefront, and that includes benefits that provide employees a sense of health and financial security. We know that life continues outside of employment and actively caring of our people is our priority.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts
- 401k match
- Paid Leave Plans
- Parental & Adoption Benefits
- Disability Coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Educational Assistance
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Flex-scheduling available for qualifying positions to achieve work-life integration
H&P is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!