Temporary Part-Time Data Analyst
Temporary Part-Time Data Analyst
Position is available: September 2023
WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partners. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
ANet’s Data and Analytics (DNA) team is searching for temporary support for a critical workstream - collecting and organizing state standardized test data and identifying information for our current and past partnerships . The accuracy of this data is essential for ANet to complete key analyses that help us understand the impact we are having through our work with systems and schools. This role is ideal for someone who knows how to work with structured data, has experience using code to perform basic transformations on structured data, and is motivated by catching the smallest details. This role will require approximately 15 hours per week for 8 - 10 week and will report to a Senior Analyst on the DNA team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Search for and download state standardized testing data for the 22-23 School Year as it is released by state governments
- Assist with routine transformation, cleaning, and validation of state standardized testing data in our internal databases
- Search for and verify identifying information, such as National Center for Education Statistics ID, for schools and districts across internal and external data sources
- Complete spreadsheet with properly formatted values for the sources identified
- Research and document changes in school organizations over time to support decision making around data verification
- This process will be completed in collaboration with the Senior Analyst for over 200 partners across more than 10 states, ideally completed by mid-December (but with some flexibility to extend into January).
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to being thorough and detail oriented especially within the context of data collection
- Basic experience using coding languages to join, clean, and transform structured datasets (Python preferred, open to other scripting languages such as R, Ruby, etc.)
- Basic experience working in spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets etc)
- Experience self directing your time and projects
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience with education data, especially National Center for Education Statistics
- Advanced spreadsheet skills such as pivot tables and vlookups
- Experience with Version Control software such as Git/Github
- Experience with using SQL, particularly to extract and modify data in existing tables
WHAT WE OFFER
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We offer comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: medical, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including 10 paid holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; paid parental leave; educational expenses reimbursements; flexible spending accounts; professional development; a 401(k) plan with a 4% match; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance. We also offer an inclusive environment where we welcome you to bring your whole self to work every day.
The pay for this position is $25.84 per hour. In order to uphold our commitment to equity, ANet does not negotiate pay.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your application online.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.