Executive Assistant (Remote - 5 months Maternity Leave Replacement)
About the American Montessori Society
The American Montessori Society (AMS) is the foremost advocate for quality Montessori education, an innovative, child-centered approach to learning. AMS sets high professional standards that inform Montessori education as practiced in AMS-accredited schools and taught in AMS-affiliated teacher education programs. A not-for-profit membership based in New York City, with more than 19,000 members world-wide, AMS is the hub of all things Montessori: an information center for its members, the media, and the public; a voice in the public arena; and a mobilizing force for the global Montessori community, through support services, accreditation, credentialing, and affiliation services, research, and professional development events and offerings.
AMS is classified as a 501(c) (3) (i.e., tax-exempt, nonprofit) organization.
AMS envisions a world in which quality Montessori education is widely recognized, highly desired, and accessible to all.
- To Apply: Only applications complete with a cover letter and resume will be considered.
- Key Contact: Executive Director
- Classification: Temporary, Full-Time, Exempt
- Liaises with: Staff in all areas of the organization, board members & committees
- Worksite: Remote. Working in Eastern Time. Must be eligible to work in the United States
Note to the applicant: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Coordinate executive communications, including taking calls, responding to emails, and interfacing with membership and community
- Prepare internal and external documents and correspondence to staff members, board and stakeholders
- Schedule meetings and appointments, book and manage travel itineraries and order supplies as needed including staff retreats and board meetings.
- Draft executive director weekly correspondence to all staff & manage the coordination of input from senior team and directors.
- Assist in arranging corporate events pertaining to all staff and board to take place. Plan, coordinate, and implement special events as assigned.
- Maintain an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents – file and retrieve.
- Work closely with the executive director & leadership team on special projects.
- Ability to maintain strict level of confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Develop and sustain a level of professionalism among staff, board of directors, membership, and stakeholders.
- Coordinate with various teams to prepare an efficient calendar for all activities reported, distribute all minutes of meetings as needed both internally and externally.
- Serve as a Board Liaison. This includes:
- Scheduling board and committee meetings.
- Developing and distributing meeting materials.
- Taking minutes at all board meetings. This includes updating related documents and maintaining accurate corporate records.
- Providing logistical support for board members.
- Other duties as assigned
This role requires a high level of professionalism, discretion, and self-initiative. A Bachelor's degree is required for the position; at least two years of relevant experience is preferred.
Additional desired qualities include:
- Bachelor's degree with at least two year of relevant experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self-starter with strong organization and work ethic
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Database experience a plus
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy in all aspects of work
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently and also effectively as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to effectively manage numerous simultaneous projects
- Pleasant diplomatic manner and disposition with colleagues at all levels, with the external partners of AMS, and with the general public
- Willing to be flexible and adaptable to change
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The American Montessori Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable laws.
No calls please.