TITLE: K’iche’ Interpreter
TRAVEL: Required, potentially extensive at times, based on project need(s)
This position is part-time on-call (PTOC) working on an as needed basis.
The Providencia Group is led by a purpose: to address global challenges and make an impact that matters through delivering transformative solutions. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people, and our communities. We combine purpose, innovation, and experience to deliver impactful results.
About The Team
We are problem solvers working with leading agencies and organizations to help them address many of today’s most complex challenges. Our world-class team of technologists, program managers, and subject matter experts is uniquely qualified to address ever-evolving, large-scale challenges. In an imperfect world, The Providencia Group puts capability and purpose into action.
What you’ll be part of – TPG Culture
At TPG, we expect incredible tangible results. TPG professionals play a unique role in delivering these results. We reach across disciplines and borders to serve our global organization. We provide a roadmap for focusing on people, our work, and continuous improvement. We see people as people, take care of each other, commit to the mission, move quickly and bravely, get better every day, and seek truth. We are the backbone of TPG.
About the Role
The TPG Interpreters will be responsible for performing real-time oral translations or translations of sensitive material from K’iche’ into English and from English into K’iche’. Respects confidentiality in all areas and always maintains appropriate professional boundaries. Avoids advising, counseling, or interjecting personal opinions into the interpretation. Interpreters will work with the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Office of Refugee Resettlement’s (ORR) Reunification Management Unit, and its care providers.
Travel for this position is required and will vary and change based on the needs of the minors and shelters. Flexibility to travel on short notice and to various locations around the United States is expected. Failure to comply with travel requests may result in reassignment of position or termination of employment.
What You’ll Do
- Listen to oral intercepts in English or K’iche’ and provides verbal and written synopsis.
- Responsible for relating all pertinent information between the Case Manager and Client.
- During inactive or low periods of activity, transcribe and translate pertinent information assigned by their Supervisor.
- Responsible for using the various reference tools created during the project.
- Ensures that the final work is verbatim and a true rendition in English. Ensures compliance with TPG standards, technical and semantic content, file formats, and technical instructions.
- Acts as the facilitator of communication between minors, sponsors, staff, and others as appropriate.
- Accurately interprets between staff, minors, and sponsors. Interprets the message faithfully, always conveying the content and spirit of the speaker, using the sponsor and minor’s primary language of communication in the setting.
- Strives to further professional knowledge and skills through participation in workshops, professional meetings, and interaction with professional colleagues.
- Maintain credible reports and submit in a timely manner.
- Must complete ORR required trainings.
- Performs duties related to interpreting as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills
- High school diploma or GED.
- (1)+ year professional interpretation experience.
- Must have knowledge of source language colloquial terms and expressions.
- Formal education in linguistics or related field. (preferred)
- Interpretation certification. (preferred)
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations. (preferred)
- Successfully complete and pass assessment for Alta Language certificate for K’iche’ and English.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written skills in both the source and target language, including correct and accurate grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Requires strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with different departments within the company, employees and with clients.
- Ability to take technical direction and feedback from various sources.
- Must be able to identify and escalate non-technical issues to Supervisor in a timely and effective manner.
- Follow appropriate practices and policies of the company and the client agency to protect PII.
- Committed to providing outstanding customer service and represent TPG in a Professional manner.
- Requires the ability to prioritize work, meet stringent deadlines, balance multiple tasks and work in a team environment.
- Must possess strong computer skills in MS Office, including Excel, Word, Teams.
- Ability to type 45 wpm.
A minimum 30-day on-site TDY, and home office work; based on project need and workload.
Due to the importance of this position, employees supporting this contract can be required to work extended hours to include evening work, on-call, and weekends to support time-sensitive or real-time complex services. This position is considered ESSENTIAL. This means the Interpreter will be required to work during emergency or crisis situations, including inclement weather, natural and man-made disasters, etc. Travel based on project need will be required.
Condition of employment:
- Complete a rigorous culture and competency testing process
- Complete a Drug Test
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- A valid US Driver’s license
- Available to travel as necessary
Security Clearance Requirements:
- Applicants selected will be subject to a government background investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Residency requirement - 3 consecutive years in the last 5 years.
- Standing/Walking/Mobility: Must have mobility to attend meeting with other managers and employees.
- Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: 10% of the time.
- Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: 10% of the time.
- Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to write, type and use a telephone system 100% of the time.
- Sitting: Sitting for prolonged and extended periods of time.