Senior Full Stack Engineer (Remote First)
📍Work from anywhere in the USA or Canada
ENGINEERING / FULL-TIME
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Life is short - do something that matters! We are Academia.edu. Our mission is to accelerate and democratize the world's research because scientific discovery is based on it, which benefits everyone.
Who we are
We are a Remote-First company with an office in San Francisco, building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. We closed a $23M Series “D” round in December 2021.
With over 216M registered users and nearly half of the world’s academics using our platform monthly, we are uniquely positioned to disrupt the $25B academic publishing industry. Our users range from researchers, academics, industry professionals, and college students, with over 335,000 paying premium subscribers-contributing to us being cash flow positive.
What we're looking for
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do but are also mission-driven. Ideally, you have experience working across the stack and are excited about owning product and engineering initiatives. Bonus points for experience scaling an application to handle an increasing user base.
- Good coding habits are a must.
- Knowledge and use of common data structures and algorithms to solve problems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to build solutions and products.
- Ability and willingness to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
- 5+yrs. of experience working on large-scale, consumer-facing web apps or platforms in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Understanding, creating, manipulating, and querying databases.
- Rest API/back-end coding in a scripting language.
- Ruby on Rails, Sidekiq
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
- React + Typescript
- RSpec, Chromatic, Jest, Storybook
- CircleCI, Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform, Datadog
- AWS ecosystem (EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift, Aurora, and many others)
- You don’t need to know our tech stack, but you must be willing and able to learn and apply it quickly!
What you’ll work on:
- You'll be designing and building systems and web applications to make our user base more productive on our platform. Here are some things that we are currently working on:
- A fast and scalable peer review system that identifies and distributes high-quality academic works.
- Services that help academic authors understand the impact of their scholarship via text parsing and computation of bibliometrics.
- Algorithmic approaches to identification of academic content and disambiguation of authorships in order to make every paper ever written available for free.
- A paper recommendation engine that helps users discover the most relevant research.
- Search Engine Optimizations to improve the discoverability of our corpus of 40M+ PDFs.
What impact will you have?
- Researchers from all over the world give us fantastic feedback:
- “I go through all the articles in the bulk download, save the ones that are clearly going to be useful, and discard the remainder. This saves loads of time but also points me in directions I might not otherwise have thought of looking.”
- “The bulk downloads give me the chance to read more related articles as well as see what research is citing the article I am looking at. It also helps me rapidly expand my personal digital library of references.”
- See more: https://www.academia.edu
What you’ll get?
- In addition to working closely with and collaborating with our talented tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth.
- Our ~72-person team, which includes ~38 Software Engineers, all value curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building a great work environment that produces great products.
- We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees that covers their spouses and dependents.
- A generous Paid Time Off includes 21 paid vacation days, 12 paid company holidays, 1 volunteer day and many other PTO leaves as well.
- Annual professional development allowance & PTO.
- Book stipend.
- Stock options.
- Flexible sick days.
- Parental & birth parent leave - 8 fully paid weeks each.
- Fully paid 6-week sabbatical after 4 years of employment.
- Work/Life balance with flex hours.
- Weekly Bootcamp & yoga class.
- FSA accounts.
- Company-paid retreats.
- Commuter benefits.
- WFH monthly Internet stipend.
- New hardware and accessories for WFH productivity setup.
- 401K plan.
In addition, for those who prefer to work at our office, we have a physical office where many work, which is located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The first-year cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $160,000 to $240,000 USD in the USA and $130,000 - $220,000 CAD in Canada. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our Remote Work Policy
* You can work 100% remotely from anywhere in the US or Canada if you are legally living and working in the USA or a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
* Our core work hours are 10am-4pm Pacific Time, with flex hours for the rest of the day.
Remote location allowed
To apply to this offer, be sure you can work from :
Level of experience :Mid-level (2-5 years)
Check out the description to know which languages are mandatory.
Find other similar jobs