We’re looking for an Assistant Engineer to join our Structures Team for Kier Highways Design Solutions based in Basingstoke. Within this role, you can enjoy competitive annual holiday entitlement with opportunities to buy/sell leave, a fantastic matched pension scheme, a share in the success you help to create by investing in Kier through our Sharesave and Share Incentive Plans and even more.
Can you imagine a world without roads or bridges? Nor can we! Your journey is our journey, come and join us at Kier Highways and make a difference. Connecting roads, connecting people.
Contract: Permanent, Fulltime
Salary: £31k - £38k + 26 days of annual leave + Benefits
As an Assistant Engineer, you’ll produce technical designs / documentation and support the Engineers and Lead Engineer in the delivery of highways’ structures feasibility studies, assessments, maintenance and new-build schemes.
Your day to day will include:
- Support the Lead Engineer in the delivery and management of structures schemes
- Prepare technical designs, documents and drawings using the latest software
- Undertake site visits and gather background data.
- Identify and apply appropriate methodologies and standards to produce effective and innovative solutions for structures schemes and studies to current standards.
Who are we looking for?
This role of Assistant Engineer is great for you if you have:
- Degree in Civil Engineering or HNC/HND in Civil Engineering
- Relevant experience in engineering in the workplace
- Working towards Incorporated or Chartered Status of a relevant professional institution
We’re all about finding potential here at Kier, and transferable skills are always welcome! So even if you don’t tick every box, please apply and we can have a chat. We want to hear from candidates from all backgrounds and experiences, and we especially encourage those from underrepresented communities to get in touch with us.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during any part of the application process, please get in touch at InclusiveRecruitment@kier.co.uk to discuss and arrange these.
Benefits at Kier
We’re proud to be able to offer our fantastic employees a wide variety of benefits that you can tailor to your needs. Some of our favourites include:
- new and enhanced family friendly policies, including eight weeks paternity leave, 26 weeks maternity leave, pregnancy loss leave, surrogacy leave, menopause guidance and more
- A huge range of deals and discounts at many your favourite brands
- 24/7 virtual GP service for you and your family
- Kier’s Green Car Scheme
And so much more! You can read the full details of all of our benefits on our website: kier.co.uk/careers/rewards-benefits
Who is Kier?
We’re made up of six business units, Group Functions, Construction, Highways, Infrastructure, Utilities and Property, and as a group, our purpose is to sustainably deliver construction and infrastructure services which are vital to the UK. Take a look at our sustainability objectives: kier.co.uk/sustainability/
At the core of all our projects is technical excellence, utilising the latest building methods and innovations to ensure we offer the best value to our clients as sustainably as possible.
Our projects are those that support the local communities we work in, helping them thrive and progress. We are collaborative, trusted and focussed in all that we do, and our people are essential in helping us achieve our goals.
Diversity and inclusion
Making Kier a diverse and inclusive place to work is a huge priority for us. We’re proud of the steps we’ve taken so far, but we know we must always do more. Our employees are key in shaping Kier’s diversity and inclusion (D&I) initiatives, and our people have made a huge impact on how we work, by using their experiences to shape our policies and initiatives.
You can see more about our D&I action plan here: kier.co.uk/media/6668/di-roadmap-2021.pdf
Closing date: 26 April 2023
Please note, interviews may take place before the closing date, and we reserve the right to close applications early.